Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Fall to Grace...

First off…if you can…read the article “A Fall to Grace” by Ed Young in the latest issue of RELEVANT Magazine…This entry is inspired a little by that article…

Once again I am brought back to the beauty of grace…Lately I have been putting God in a box again…A very small one…For some reason I thought that this thing God has called grace is an exhaustible source…Ha…are you kidding? It’s pretty much the opposite…God has an bottomless source of grace, one of the hardest things for the human mind to comprehend and fathom…I have been “screwing up” so much lately and not doing my “normal God stuff” that I my mind has wandered to an almost inescapable place of self-righteousness and self-pity…I have tried to fix my so called “bad-feeling” my own way…Pretending I prayed, pretending I did the Christian thing, and actually succeeding in tricking myself into thinking I was doing fine…I am reminded of how my friend Jeremy Slager used to tell me about when he argued with himself and lost…I used to think that was rubbish until recently (try it sometime, it’s an interesting experience :)…
Probably at the root of all these feelings are thoughts that limit God to nothing short of a horoscope...Specifically his grace…I put my sin and the grace of God on an equal plane, and this is completely unjustified…”But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!” Romans 6:15…
To think that you have sinned so badly and so many times that God wants nothing to do with you and will never forgive or enter your heart again is to spit on the foot of the cross Jesus himself was crucified on…If you think you have screwed up, not matter how big or small, and then you enter into a wallow of darkness and a state of feeling sorry for yourself, and then think that God doesn’t love you let alone like you, your understanding of God is wrong and misguided…The beauty of grace is that it overcomes ANY sin to complete yourself as a child of God and fills in the hole in your heart where nothing else can…God wants to be a part of your life so badly that he endured the pain of watching his son beaten, tortured, and have nails driven through his wrists amid blood that was shed for every human to ever live…Try to put that one in a box somewhere…

Just let go and let the One who knows you better than yourself take over…completely…

“But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Christ our Lord.”
Romans 6:20-21

No comments: