Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Worship = Wonder

Once again, Donald Miller (author of Blue Like Jazz) produces yet another thought provoking, mind-blowing view of Christianity…I love getting my mind blown :)… So, there is this chapter called Worship: The Mystical Wonder, it’s like chapter 17 I think…But anyways, it basically plays along the idea that worship is more than just getting up and singing to God with certain songs picked out by the band or singer leading worship…Rather, it’s anytime you realize that the “Wonder of God happens right above our arithmetic and formula. The more I climb outside my pat answers, the more invigorating the view (sunset, sunrise), the more my heart enters into worship.” That got me thinking about all the times I sit outside and look at the stars at night…A frequent in the summer at bonfires…There is just something about the stars that just shuts me up…I am staring at things a heck of a long way away in a universe that is way bigger than my mind can comprehend….There are things out there that never will be found and places never searched, all the while I get to look at it in wonder, and worship God for it all, thanking Him for creating my insignificant, tiny self on this tiny earth and giving me eternal life along with it…Wait for it…Yep, my mind just blew… :) Besides…the stars are just freaking cool looking, and when you throw some shooting ones in with the Northern Lights, it makes for one heck of a night…(true story)…
I think a lot of the time no one lets go of the pat answers to explain things and such…I think people, including me, try to “chart God on a grid” and have a correct answer for why he does what he does…Not enough time is spent just sitting in awe of Him and letting your mind run over all the things He did, does, and will do forever…And I won’t even go into how “forever” blows my mind…Really, we must realize that God is in control of everything, no matter how hard it is to understand that…One of the best quotes ever in the chapter… "There are things you cannot understand, and you must learn to live with this. Not only must you learn to live with this, you must learn to enjoy this."
I think this is my main struggle at the moment, just letting go of the way I want to explain things and understand them, and just let awe, wonder, and praise fill my entire being and realize God is one huge dude....

No comments: