Monday, January 19, 2009

Cambodia...The Last Days...

Hey Mom! This may be the last email you get from me...We take off tomorrow night...But I hear there is free internet in Seoul so maybe not...We'll see...Anyways...
This past weekend we went to Siem Reap, which is the most touristy place in Cambodia...But it was pretty sweet...We visited temples there, the most famous being Angkor Wat, which was huge....One of the other temples was where parts of Tomb Raider was shot...My buddy Ben and I were like little kids hopping around all the ruins tryng not to get caught by tour guides who didn't want us on stuff :)... It was awesome...I can only describe these temples to you with pictures, so I will show you those when I get home...That night we went to dinner at a place that had traditional Khmer dancing...That was pretty cool...At the end I got my picture taken with one of the Khmer girls :)...One thing about Siem Reap that is bad though is that because it is a tourist place it also brings in the sex industry...There were a ton of massage parlours in the area, and they were not just for that...It was pretty bad to see like four guys sitting outside of one of these things at ten at night...We knew what most of them were there for...There is a lot of underage prostitution too, which a place like IJM, which I explained to you in the last email, tries to combat...
But overall it was a good weekend, even with long bus rides...Today we went to the national museum and say a lot of the art from the 11th century and so on...It was pretty cool...Tomorrow is our last day and we will say our goodbyes to all the awesome people we met on this trip...I have emails from some of them and hope to stay in contact...

This trip has been an amazing experience...I never though I would ever make it out of the country and now that I have I do not regret it...I came here thinking it would bring me out of my lull with God...I thought for sure something like this would shake me awake...It has some yes, but I realize I have to take care of stuff and be with God at all times and not rely on events and experiences to do that for me...I have now seen extreme poverty and seen what daily life is like outside the U.S...Through conversations with my teammates here I have begun the process to get rid of my ego and selfish ways...I have no idea what I will feel like when I get back home...But excited to get home too...I will be back Wednesday afternoonish and I will give you a call when we land...Thanks so much for sending my emails out to everyone and thanks for praying too...I may send you one more email in Seoul if need be...So get back to me quick if you want any info...Ok, I'm off...

Voohey::
::Jake


Here's some pictures from this weekend....






1 comment:

Julia said...

After so much time not checking in here, it warms my heart to read a bit about how God is working in your life....I'll be praying for your safe return.